Follow The Beginning Farmer's Wife on Facebook for additional personal peeks at building a family farm.

(Be sure to click both the Facebook "like" and "follow" buttons to not miss any posts.)

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Sweet Potato Update

I realize that it has been quite awhile since I have done a sweet potato update. I was hoping that at this time this summer I would be able to show you my massive vine of sweet potatoes in the garden.

Unfortunately, my sweet potatoes spent much longer in planting pots and garden pots than I would have liked. While we were waiting for our garden to be workable, they were quite stunted.

This picture was taken mid June. I finally planted them in our garden the first week of July, and they weren't much bigger.











After only a couple of weeks in the garden, they have kicked back into growing gear. They are all looking about the same as this one now.

So while I probably won't have the bumper crop I was hoping for, maybe I'll get one or two for a nice fall treat.

I am going to continue to experiment with them this year though. Once the vines are a little more established, I am going to clip off some tips and try to root them as house plants.

I have heard that they make beautiful vining house plants, but that is not my reason for doing this. I am going to see if it is possible to skip the potato rooting phase of the process next year (although I'll do it again next year just in case) and just plant some slips of my house plant.

Wouldn't it be cool if I were to have grand children some day and they were able to plant sweet potatoes from the same vine their grandma did?

2 comments:

Julie said...

Wow, its been some time since I've been to visit and the house is looking great. Wondering when I might expect to harvest sweet potatoes. My vines are maybe 3 ft long and seem to have stopped growing for the summer. Could you please reply in a post? With 125 blogs to follow, I can't always remember which blogs to check back for answers in the comments, but if you post about it, I'll eventually read it. Thanks!

The Beginning Farmer's Wife said...

Julie-
I'll try to shoot out another sweet potato post soon. Until I do here's some info from google on harvesting sweet potatoes.

Sweet potatoes can be harvested at any stage of maturity. They require 100 to 140 days from planting to maturity depending on variety. Harvest sweet potatoes before the first killing frost because cool conditions can physiologically damage roots.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...