Follow The Beginning Farmer's Wife on Facebook for additional personal peeks at building a family farm.

(Be sure to click both the Facebook "like" and "follow" buttons to not miss any posts.)

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Baby Bottoms

Baby bottoms are expensive! Or at least they can be expensive. I can't believe how fast they go through disposable diapers, and wipes don't last that long either. It is because of this that I dug through my mountain of unpacked boxes to pull out the cloth diapers. It may be a little extra work right now while we are still not settled in, but the savings is definitely worth it!

When Caleb was born I decided to go the cloth diaper route because of the expense of disposable. I I went with prefolds and my mom and I made the covers. With Hannah, I continued cloth and started using white washcloths for wipes to save even more. (That is all they got used for, by the way.) Now my cloth diapers are on baby number 3. I have had to recover most of them since they were wearing thin, but it was still cheaper than buying new ones.

It is nice to be saving again on baby bottoms - and also on trash bags!

7 comments:

Dana Derks said...

I'm with you!! I used cloth diapers for both my girls ( 21months and 3 yr. old) , and I feel quilty if I ever have to use plastic. I hate them. Everyone thinks I'm crazy to do all the extra work; but I prefer them.

Janice said...

Good for you doing cloth diapers. I never was that ambitious. Luckily for me I am done with diapers forever. My youngest is officially toilet trained (I hate the word potty)we do not use that in our house. I am now saving $10 a month and I have used that $10 to buy extra of something we need.
Two months ago I bought $10 worth of hand soap and last month I bought $10 worth of tooth brushes and tooth paste. I'm trying to get ahead on a few items that we use a lot of. Thanks for letting me come by. I like to come see your blog. We enjoy our land too.

Sarah said...

Great post Becca!

I just recently have been considering going the cloth diaper route with our newest little one (due to arrive in three months!) for both the convenience and the cost factor . . . I've been researching them, and just posted about the quest recently on my blog, and then I randomly visited today and saw your post! Great minds! :)

Best,
Sarah

PS - Do you use pre-folds at night too? Just curious!

McKrola Family said...

I too love cloth diapers! My favorite has just been the Chinese prefolds with a snappi fastener and dappi nylon pullon covers. I found that its really not all that much more work.

MFamily said...

we use cloth as well... but we use Fuzzi Bunz - and I do all the washing at home and such. I bought most of mine used - Brie is in Medium's right now so baby #2 will be able to wear the smalls after she's here.

Nance said...

I love the fat, dimpled, rolled baby legs . . . and I am NO pervert! I just plain love babies. oh yeah, and what about their fat necks and double chins.

The Beginning Farmer's Wife said...

I'm glad that I'm not the only one to use cloth. :)

Sarah- I go back and forth on prefolds at night depending on the phase of life I'm in and also the phase my kids are in. When they are itty-bitty, I use disposables at night because they (mine at least) wake up so easily when they wet, and they wet so frequently when they are so tiny. When they don't wet as much, I use the cloth again. I do put a homemade fleece liner it that helps wick the moisture away when they sleep. As they get bigger and are heavy wetters though, I switch back to disposable. By the time morning comes around their diaper is so saturated that it sometimes leaks. And then once they get to potty training, they are back in cloth at night to help them realize when they wet. This time, no fleece. Hope that helps. Maybe I'll make a separate post on it . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...