Follow The Beginning Farmer's Wife on Facebook for additional personal peeks at building a family farm.

(Be sure to click both the Facebook "like" and "follow" buttons to not miss any posts.)

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Noodle Making

Yesterday I decided to make some egg noodles to dry. The last time I made them, I spread them out on a sheet on our bed, and then they ended up on cooling racks in the oven with the light on. Although they did dry in there, it took longer than I wanted. The oven retained a lot of moisture that was lost from the noodles so there was a lot of humidity in there.

This time, I just put the noodles right on the cooling racks as I made them. The last time I made them they were dry enough to stack by the time they got to the cooling racks, but this time they were still quite moist since they went onto the racks immediately. Because I had more noodles than racks, I laid a paper napkin over the first layer and then put another layer on top. When all of the noodles were made and the racks were filled up, I placed my stack of cooling racks into a laundry basket and then set the basket in front of our dehumidifier.

This morning I woke up and my noodles were as dry as could be! They came off of the paper napkins quite easily too. I then snapped them into the size I wanted them, filled up my mason jars to store them, and into the cupboard they went.

The next time we are hungry for homemade noodles, I will just pop open a jar of my canned ham or beef broth, add some water, a little bit of salt, and dump in my noodles. Serve it with mashed potatoes, corn, salad, and homemade bread, and you just might get a back rub from your hubby. :)

Follow The Beginning Farmer's Wife on Facebook for additional personal peeks at building a family farm.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh My Heavens!!! Those look yummy! Ü

Anonymous said...

Great job on the noodles! They look great:) I have never tried making my own noodles, however, after reading your post, it looks like to much fun not too;)

QuiltedSimple said...

Since the rest of your recipes have been so yummy, any chance you could post the recipes for your noodles?

farm mama said...

Another way that I have seen them dried is to place long pieces of small dowels between the backs of two chairs and hang the noodles over them to dry. It was done in Wyoming (a very dry climate) and they dried quickly. Maybe would work in front of your dehumidifier. Homemade noodles are great and not that hard to make. My mother's favorite company meal was chicken and homemade noodles - she didn't dry them, just put them in the broth while they were still moist. She always made the comment, "You need to use an old hen for the chicken and broth, because it has so much more flavor."

Anonymous said...

So impressive and they look delicious! :)

The Beginning Farmer's Wife said...

Thank you everyone for your compliments.

Quiltedsimple - Here is the recipe I used for this batch:
8 eggs (from our chickens)
4 cups white flour
2 cups wheat flour
maybe 1/4 cup of water (varies with each batch)
Sometimes I do different ratios of flour too.

Farm mama - I have heard about the dowel method . . .I might have to give that a try, especially if I make a larger batch to dry.

daisymay said...

Great job explaining how to make your sourdough starter!
May I use your noodle maker sometime when we get together? I have been buying them from the Amish.

The Beginning Farmer's Wife said...

Mom-
If you bring some eggs from the Amish (since we had to send off our chickens), then I will provide the flour, and we can have a noodle making party. Maybe Wendy and Chase would want to come too. The three of us can make noodles while the kids take their afternoon naps. Daisy May can't come though. No dogs allowed.

Anonymous said...

Wow just what I was looking for. I was @ homesteading Today and there was a link over here about noodles. My son bought me an attachment to go on my kitchenaid to make noodles but I've been scared to try cause everything is so expensive I don't want to make a mistake. I didn't know how to dry them? I still don't know how to make them..Thanks..Brenda/haflinger

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...