Follow The Beginning Farmer's Wife on Facebook for additional personal peeks at building a family farm.

(Be sure to click both the Facebook "like" and "follow" buttons to not miss any posts.)

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Another One Bites the Dust

Last year our washing machine went out, and I spent a few weeks carting laundry to the laundry mat. We were thrilled when Ethan's dad gifted us with a washer and dryer set that he picked up at an auction for under $35. (We were going to need a dryer too once we moved.) The dryer worked fine and with $40 dollars of parts and some internet searching, we were able to get the washer working - it had a broken spring.

So for less than $100 we had a great washer and dryer set. They were both pretty clean and had great setting. The washer has an extra deep drum, 4 load size settings, 3 water temp settings, 3 speed settings, an extra rinse option, 2 auto soak options, and agitation options for cotton, easy care, and delicates. The extra deep drum cut down drastically on the loads I ran each week, and the extra rinse and auto soak options were perfect for cloth diapers.

One problem, we soon found out that the realtor accidentally listed our new (to us) washer with the house. Thankfully, he said he would take care of it and buy another washer. We could choose to take the new washer or he would get one for the house. We checked out the washers at Menards, and I didn't seen any that I liked as much as the one we just fixed. Ethan left the decision up to me, and I chose to keep the one we had. It matched the dryer, but more importantly to me was that its settings and features would make my laundry life so much easier.

Well, I should have chosen door number 2. This week our washer died. It still makes noise, the problem is that it makes a lot of noise. When it should be agitating. And it doesn't aggitate.

Now remember, I am the kind of person that puts things like jar scrubber and dish drainer on my Christmas list and am thrilled when I get them. I like functional things especially functional things that make homemaking easier so I have more time to enjoy my family. So I was not only upset that my washing machine with all the cool features bit the dust, but I was just as upset that I made the wrong choice and now am without a washing machine.

But such is life. And really, a washing machine going out is really miniscule compared to other things we could be dealing with. I can always fill the tub with water, dump some laundry in and soap in, and let the kids stomp around in it. (Not cloth diapers of course - we are going to be using disposable awhile again. Also, Ethan is going to try to do a load a day at the pastor's house when he goes in to work.) Hopefully we won't be without a washer too long though . . .

3 comments:

Amber said...

Oh I feel for you...We just bought a new dryer after 2 1/2 weeks of going without one, and a new cookstove because mine died about the same time. The laundromat is way too expensive, so my house looked like we were having a yard sale with all the cliothing hung everywhere to dry...good luck...hang in there...

Tim said...

"It still makes noise, the problem is that it makes a lot of noise. When it should be agitating. And it doesn't agitate."

How... agitating! Isn't that ironic?

jo.irish.rose said...

becca, when it rains, it poors. if it isn't the bull, the laundry!!! maybe you could figure a way for the bull help work the washer? when we lived in japan, they had cows to run their sugar mills, maybe the bull can be hooked up to the washer to make it agitate? just a thought...keep him out of trouble...lol! jo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...