Follow The Beginning Farmer's Wife on Facebook for additional personal peeks at building a family farm.

(Be sure to click both the Facebook "like" and "follow" buttons to not miss any posts.)

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Work Hard, Play Hard

I want our children to grow up knowing what it means to work hard. (I also want them to know how to have fun too, of course.) Yesterday, my 4 year old son made my day.

He was playing with Hannah in the living room, and he came to the kitchen where I was cleaning up after lunch. Here is our conversation:

Caleb: Mommy, you work all day just like Daddy works all day.

Me: Oh really? What kind of work do I do?

Caleb: You clean up and wash things.

For a stay at home mom, that was such a blessing to hear. A lot of times people hear about moms who stay at home and think they are lucky because they don't have to go to work. I take my job at home seriously though and believe I should work as hard at home as I expect my husband to at his job. I feel like it is a huge, sometimes overwhelming, responsibility (just like many other jobs) to teach children responsibility encompassed in love, be a constant support for my husband, keep the house in order, manage a budget, and complete the many other tasks that pop up with all of the other things outside of the home that go on too.

With all of the planning that I have done the last 3 months, I have felt like I have let the house slip a bit. And when I look around the rooms, I feel like I am not doing my work. (Although if I peek at our housing file folder I can see where all my time has gone!) So when my 4 year old acknowledged out of the blue that he thinks I work hard, it made my day!

3 comments:

GeonHui's Bakery said...

Wow! What an encouragement from a 4year old :) It definitely gets weary somedays, but it seems at just the right time there are those sweet moments that remind u s why we do what we do.

Unknown said...

HEY -- he's going to make a great husband someday... right? Ü

I once told my dh... those ladies you work with... they leave all that responsibility at home and just work in a factory. I have a much harder job at home, then they do there. I KNOW... I've done both. Working at home is hard work, if you do it well. I try to do it well. LOL Well -- and they have one job in the factory... let's see... I am

Nurse
Teacher
Dish Washer
Clothes Washer/folder/putter away
Gardener
Cook
Housekeeper/cleaner
Class clown (ha!)

etc.

°Ü°

Julie said...

Sweet words from a 4 year old!
Thank you for the information on the potatoes. I need to get my plants outside, divided, some replanted, and maybe I can take care of the potatoes at the same time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...