Follow The Beginning Farmer's Wife on Facebook for additional personal peeks at building a family farm.

(Be sure to click both the Facebook "like" and "follow" buttons to not miss any posts.)

Monday, May 12, 2008

Planting Pots at Work

Last week I pulled out some of my homemade newspaper planting pots from their tray. They are working great! As you can see in the picture, the roots are coming out of the side of the pots.

That is exactly what is supposed to happen with planting pots. It prevents the roots from becoming root bound - there is no reason to loosen up the roots, possibly damaging them, before planting the plants.

When I go to plant these, I will just stick planting pot and all into the garden. The roots will continue to grow out of the pot, and the newspaper will decompose in the soil.

I will definitely do this again next year!

5 comments:

WildernesFamily said...

Those paper pots are working GREAT and that's a nice little tomato (?) plant :)

Glad things are coming on so nicely with your plans.

Anonymous said...

Looks good! We are getting ready to plant soon. It's my first garden so I am anxious to see how it goes. Dad's not here to help this time;)

GeonHui's Bakery said...

Wow! I'm impressed. I struck out this year on growing our own plants but I learned a few things for next year. The egg cartons didn't seem to work to well...I'll have to remember the paper pots for next year.

Candace said...

I have seen the paper pots before, but I didn't realize the roots would grow right through. Thanks for sharing that.

The Beginning Farmer's Wife said...

Candace - I was hoping they would work out. This is the first year I have done them. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...