Follow The Beginning Farmer's Wife on Facebook for additional personal peeks at building a family farm.

(Be sure to click both the Facebook "like" and "follow" buttons to not miss any posts.)

Monday, November 19, 2012

To Clean Out a Clothes Closet

As I have said many times, it's not as much the size of house or number of people in the house that makes a house overfull . . . it's the amount of STUFF in the house.

We are in a constant battle of making room in our house, and just this fall I have come up with a way to keep our closets from getting overcrowded. 

To start with, you will need to be semi organized - keeping long sleeves together, short sleeves together, dress shirts together, etc. Once you have gotten that taken care of, you are ready to go.

When you put away your clean clothes, hang them at the BACK of the area where they belong.  Next, make a habit of choosing your clothes from the FRONT of the type of clothes you are wanting to wear.  Do likewise with your dresser - stick the just laundered clothes on the bottom of the pile, choose from the top.

It will soon become apparent as to which clothes you are continually skipping over because you have something you like better in back of them.  These skip over clothes are the ones that you seriously need to ask yourself why you keep them. 

Two helpful questions when dealing with stuff:
  1. Is this adding to or taking from my life. (The taking from usually shows itself as taking away time with shuffling it around because it is in the way or shuffling more important things around because the lesser is taking up space that could be used otherwise.)
  2. Could this item bless someone else more than it blesses me?

So there you have it.  Since I just hung up Ethan's clothes and told him the method to my recent madness, I thought I would share with you as well. :)

1 comment:

Donna OShaughnessy said...

With our crazy farm summer I did virtually no housework. I was appalled to find bags of times I thought I "needed" months ago but once out of sight I did not miss them. Apparently I did not NEED them either. I too will be giving away LOTS of items this winter. Time caring for stuff is time away from family

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...