Follow The Beginning Farmer's Wife on Facebook for additional personal peeks at building a family farm.

(Be sure to click both the Facebook "like" and "follow" buttons to not miss any posts.)

Friday, July 20, 2012

Potato Harvest

I just finished harvesting the last bit of my red potatoes before lunch.  This is the first year I have actually gotten my potatoes to do anything, and I am pleased with what I ended up with.  Part of it is getting the garden more set up, and part of it is knowing a bit more of how to properly grow potatoes.  I have one more variety, Kennebec I think, to harvest after the tops die down  Now I just need to decide how I'm going to store them: peeled and canned, sliced and dehydrated, or in the cellar (which needs some work to make it better for preserving food).  What is your favorite way to keep your potato harvest?

p.s. I did get my "How does your garden grow - July" photos taken.  But between our computer being broken for a few weeks and Ethan having just tore his achilles tendon, I haven't had a chance to put the post together.  I better hurry because August is coming!

2 comments:

Donna OShaughnessy said...

In shallow wooden boxes lightly covered in sand in basement. Wat a great haul Good Job!

Anonymous said...

On the supermarket shelves - that is where we keep our potatoes!
I hope I am able to grow potatoes like these someday.
--
George

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...