Follow The Beginning Farmer's Wife on Facebook for additional personal peeks at building a family farm.

(Be sure to click both the Facebook "like" and "follow" buttons to not miss any posts.)

Monday, April 9, 2012

Asparagus and Fruit!

If you know Ethan and myself well, you will know that he is the meat guy and I am the fruit and vegetable gal.  Ethan would be perfectly happy to only eat meat - and never fruits or vegetables.  And although I do enjoy smaller portions of good meat, I would be perfectly happy to live off of fruits and vegetables.

Our farm is definitely a meat farm.  There's no getting around that.  But, I would love to take my love for fruits and vegetables - eating, growing, and preserving them, and add a little bit to the farm as well. Since these things aren't the main focus of the farm (read - our money and time need to go into the meat aspect of the farm right now), the fruits and veggies are going to need to be added slowly.  This year I've made some steps ahead though!

Along with my orchard, I finally got a nice row of black raspberries to winter over from moving starts up from the woods.  My brother dug up a rhubarb plant he didn't want from his new house - I divided around 60 roots from this plant!  I am also receiving some additional strawberry plants from my mom and everbearing red raspberries from a family friend.

I've had my eye on some asparagus in the ditches that I would have liked to move, but from what I have read, it is very hard to move.  Since I don't have a lot of time to spend trying to transplant something that might not take and not a lot of money to buy crowns for the size of patch I would like, I decided to give seeds a try.

So I purchased about $5 worth of seeds, made homemade planting pots out of newspaper and filled them with our very own compost, read the planting instructions, and planted the seeds.  (I tried half in my planting pots and half outside just to experiment. I haven't disturbed the mulch outside where I planted the ones outside, but my inside ones are growing!

I'm excited to see what will happen with these 200 seeds I planted, and I hope to have a nice asparagus patch down the road!

Follow The Beginning Farmer's Wife on Facebook for additional personal peeks at building a family farm.

1 comment:

off grid mama said...

I'm interested to seehow this turns out for you as I'd like to get an asparagus patch going as well. When we moved to our new place we dug our rhubarb plants. 3 of them. Was able to divide them into ten.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...